Pages

September 2, 2022

Pudgy Pigeon - Free Pattern and Shameful Book Promotion

I’ve always been fond of pigeons and doves—the big fat city dwellers, the mourning variety that are so quick to amass below my bird feeders, and the too talkative diamond doves that I’ve cared for in my home.

That may be why I’ve had a pigeon pattern slated for so many years.

Now that I’ve finally gotten around to finishing and publishing A Moonserpent Tale, this is probably the best time to realize that pattern.

I’d ask you to pardon the shameless book promotion but I’m filled shame, all the time, by nature of being me; I’m just not letting it stop me from leveraging whatever I’ve got—knitting blog or otherwise. You see, writing fiction is one thing, getting eyeballs on it is another humiliating, exhausting, teeth-gritting sort of thing.

Where was I?

Right, so why a pigeon pattern?

Well, in the story A Moonserpent Tale, there’s a character named Pidgie. He’s a passenger pigeon.

In reality, passenger pigeons were once the most abundant bird in North America. But, after Europeans showed up and became increasingly abundant themselves, things didn’t work out well for the lovely passenger pigeon, which are now extinct and have been for just over 100 years.

Fantasy stories allow you to spend time with any sort of creature you’d like, including boring, done-to-death crap like dragons and werewolves. In A Moonserpent Tale, I wanted to bring to life a beautiful, successful, seemingly inexhaustible creature that humans managed to take from over several billion to zero.

When I thought to make a knitting pattern as part of my ongoing celebration of the passenger pigeon, it wasn’t lost on me that most people are probably going to want to knit a pigeon of the familiar rock dove variety—you know, city pigeons.


So, that’s the latest pattern I have for you below.


But, let’s say you too want to join in my tireless yet quiet celebration of the passenger pigeon. That pattern is only slightly different and a little more finicky but just as available here.

And lastly, before I start with the specifics, any traction I can get on this thing is greatly appreciated.

In all seriousness, if you're looking for a rich, very human story that moves away from today's fantasy cliches while keeping darker folktale roots, please consider giving it a read.

Yarn and Needles: You will need a minimum of four DPNs, yarn of your preferred weight in the following colors: grey, purple, green, black, orange or pink—a few dozen yards of each, and a small length of white.

Additional Supplies: You will also need stuffing and a needle for assembly and embroidery. Safety eyes are recommended but you can use beads, small buttons, or embroidery as an alternative. If you don't have a spare DPN, you'll need a stitch holder or spare yarn. A row marker may be helpful, but I just use the intersection of the needles to keep track.

Gauge does not matter for this one. Make your pigeon as pudgy or as puny as you prefer.